Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 01:19:00 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: termcap question

Vincent Poy scribbled this message on Apr 28:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, David Nugent wrote:
>
> > > 	Hmmm, the linux and linux-nocolor were pulled from my friend's
> > > Linux machine and someone else said FreeBSD needs a vt220 termcap also.
> >
> > No, FreeBSD's vt220 works fine. I use it quite often.
>
> 	Comeone was complaining about it but I found it in the vt200
> entry.

heh.. right now I'm writing you from a vt220 emulated terminal...
(ProComm+ for DOS) my only complaint is that every time I log in I have
to do `stty rows 25' because I'm running without the status line..

would anybody object to making tset understand the convention that
termcap(5) mentions about -n being number of lines? i.e. you don't have
to have a definition for cons-30, but tset will see the -30 and
automaticly set the rows to 30??  that would simplify and eliminate
entries that are currently duplicated... (cons25, cons30, cons43, cons50,
and cons60 are greate examples of this)

> > Of course, it may depend on which emulator you're using. :-)
> > Some of them are pretty awful. ckermit's vt220 is about the
> > best I've ever seen though.
> >
> > The problem with pulling termcap entries from other operating
> > systems, though, is the question of compatiblity. It'd be
> > nice if all termcaps were equal, but that doesn't agree with
> > my experience. As usual, YYMV.
>
> 	Yep, that's true.  One thing I can't figure out is that the linux
> termcap entry returns as unknown when the tc= lines it references to are
> there and those entries work while the linux one doesn't.  Weird.

I think it's that you have multiple tc's which as I quoted from the
termcap(5) man page aren't allowed... tc MUST be the last entry... and
if you have multiple tc's then the tc(s) that are before the last one
aren't last...  try just one tc...  and see if that works...

--
  John-Mark
  Cu Networking                             Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD