Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 06:23:10 -0800
From:      "John Barbee" <jbarbee@singular.com>
To:        "Greg Black" <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Making my login class capabilities database work right on 2.2.5

I'm sorry.  I made a poor choice of words.  I should've said "added
functionality" instead of "'fix'".  You are absolutely right, w/who/finger
are not broken in anyway whatsoever.  They do exactly what they are spec-ed
to do.  However, IMO w/who/finger should not only return those users who
have regular logins but also X logins.

In the ports list there are the following X terminals: 9term, aterm, emu,
eterm, rxvt and of course  xterm which comes with X and kvt which comes with
KDE (which isn't totally functional but kvt works, thank god), not to
mentioned the non-englisn X terminals.  Doesn't it seem more efficient if
w/who/finger takes on this added functionality rather than configuring
different terminal programs (which I understand you don't since you only use
xterm, but I'm saying not every does).  Furthermore, doesn't returning the
current X logins seems more in the line of w/who/finger's functionality?  A
terminal program's major functionality is to handle the user doing stuff not
to tell whatever database that someone has logged in.  IMO one of the great
things about unix was that most programs did one thing and one thing well
and you string them up by piping or by redirecting.

What do you think?

john.