Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:10:23 -0700
From:      "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>
To:        Cortese <lubcor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routing question

Cortese wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to know how can I do to have a FreeBSD
> 3.4 perform static routing rules like :
> ip route 192.168.252.0 172.16.250.3 metric 1
> ip route 192.168.252.0 172.16.250.4 metric 5
> I want to have two different routes to the same
> network, and if the first gateway is down (or better
> if the link is down) I want my FreeBSD to route
> packets via the second gateway. Is it possible without
> using routing protocols ?
> Thank's a lot !!!!
> L.C.

You may do it with static routes, but only if the FreeBSD box
does have the two different links (routes) connected directly
(i.e. two interfaces), if the two paths are (for instance) on
the same local network, there is no way for the FreeBSD to know
of the down links without hte help of a routing daemon.

raymundo.