Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:21:46 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
Subject:   Re: mplayer

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:07:27 -0500
Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> wrote:

> Agreed - mplayer on FreeBSD runs flawlessly (for me anyway), and I've
> played several types of movies and media with it.
>
> However, I'd love for someone to write up a "converting your mpeg stream
> to divx on FreeBSD" article.  I don't know how to do this really, but
> I'd love to help figure it out.  I'd love to be able to take my favorite
> movie with me on my laptop when I'm traveling, without having to carry
> the DVD disc around..

Ohh, that is simple. Just use mencoder to take care of that  :)

Mencoder is a program what comes with mplayer. It is a uber nice encoder
program. I've used it many times for converting mpeg files to avi.

mencoder <file name> -o <output file name> -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4

that will convert a file to a avi with mpeg4 video and it  will just copy the
audio...