Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2018 20:28:22 +0200
From:      Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft@gmx.net>
To:        Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good motherboard for Ryzen (first-gen)

On 9/22/18 4:53 AM, Eric van Gyzen wrote:
> I would like to build a Ryzen desktop.  Can anyone recommend a good
> motherboard?
>
> I'm planning on a first-gen, because the second-gen has similar
> stability problems as the first-gen had, and AMD hasn't released errata
> for the second-gen yet (as far as I know...I would love to be wrong).
>
> I would like to be a cool kid with a Threadripper, but I can't justify
> the cost, so I'm thinking maybe a Ryzen 7 with /only/ 8 cores.  :)

Running Ryzen 7 2700 with Asus X470-PRO. No major problems so far.

Minor issues:
- powerd/amdtemp don't work correctly, I'll probably retest when 12-BETA
is out
- Linuxolator doesn't work (as petefrench pointed out)
- Had a crash while backing up to external HDD but pretty sure the
problem was a bad SATA connection

The system does a lot of poudriere builds. Cannot comment on long-time
stability, system is off at night.

> Ideally, I want an Intel NIC, ECC memory support, and a 3-year warranty.

Board has an Intel igb NIC. According to the vendor "ECC support varies
by CPU". But only found reports of ECC not working, not a single success
story.

The X370 board is a bit cheaper. Went for X470 because X370 boards may
require firmware update for 2nd gen Ryzen.