Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:21:33 +0200
From:      Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Hans Huebner <hans@artcom.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI-Disk hot-swappability?

> Hello there,
>
> has the issue of making the SCSI disk driver able to support hot-swapping
> of disks been discussed already?
>
> What I'd like to be able to do is:
>
> Configure the SCSI disk driver so that it creates sd devices upon boot for
> any SCSI ID's I specify (i.e. 'device sd0 at scbus2 target 0 unit 0 flags
> 0xwhatever).

Why not just type this in your configfile for the kernel?

disk    sd0 at scbus0 target 0
disk    sd1 at scbus0 target 1
disk    sd2 at scbus0 target 2
disk    sd3 at scbus0 target 3
disk    sd4 at scbus0 target 4
disk    sd5 at scbus0 target 5
disk    sd6 at scbus0 target 6

> The sd driver seems to be prepared for this, but the necessary changes to
> scsiconf.c do not seem to be there.  We'd also need a set of utilities to
> make the kernel reprobe a given SCSI device.

The manpage for scsi tells me that it can do that.