Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:44:08 -0600
From:      "Kendall P. Gifford" <kendall@jedis.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcm with AC'97 audio not working

On Monday 29 April 2002 01:06 pm, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 03:08, Kendall P. Gifford wrote:
> > Hello all. I have AC'97 audio integrated into my motherboard, an MSI
> > KT3 Ultra-ARU (via apollo kt333 chipset, vt8233a southbridge, with
> > integrated realtek alc650 6-channel ac'97 audio). I get the following
> > line from dmesg during bootup:
> >
> > pcm0: <VIA VT8233> port 0xe800-0xe8ff irq 9 at device 17.5 on pci0
> >
> > I have also run MAKEDEV snd0; as described in the pcm(4) man page.
> > Then, following the recommended testing procedure in the handbook, I
> > installed mpg123 and tried to play an mp3 with the following results:
> >
> > #mpg123 waste.mp3
> > [...omitted startup lines...]
> > pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
>
> Try applying this patch to /sys/dev/sound/pcm/ac97.c
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=14481+0+archive/2002/freebsd
>-multimedia/20020414.freebsd-multimedia
>
> In fact, you may find some use in this whole thread.  It looks like some
> patches are being committed to -current to address this problem.
>
> Joe
>
> > I was hoping that there would be support for my on-board sound and was
> > excited when I saw AC'97 support in the pcm driver. Can someone shed
> > some light on the problem? Have I possibly not setup something
> > correctly? Is there some bug that just needs fixed? Is there just not
> > support for my RealTek ALC650 AC'97 Audio yet?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.

First of all, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, after I patched
ac97.c and rebuilt, I still have the same exact problem. If you, or anyone
else has any other suggestions, please let me know. In the meantime I'll
just keep Google-ing along soundless. Oh, since I didn't mention it before,
I am running the latest 4.5-STABLE.