Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 23:41:36 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

In message <AnGkKXmeE0@ache.dialup.demos.ru>
    =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= writes:

>>If you make changes like this without considering how it might affect
>>the things that have dependencies on them, you pretty much get what you
>>deserve. I'm sure you wouldn't make a gratuitous change like moving
>>printf out of libc would you?

>I simple follow existen standard for character set names, namely
>RFC 1700. If X violates RFC 1700 (claiming itself as Standards Body :-)
>sorry, can't resist) I don't think that it will be good to follow its
>way only because it is X.

BTW, RFC 1700 not invent those names by itself, but pick them
from already existent standard, i.e. ISO in this case.

So, name ISO8859-1 is invalid per both ISO and RFC 1700,
shure, no such name exist in ISO.
For existen 8859 names check ISO or RFC 1700.
ISO_8859-1 is one of existen names.

I don't plan provide backward compatible links, becase
it allows users to use completely non-standard locale names.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -