Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:42:08 -0600
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        marcus@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gettext / gettext-old exclusion

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:14:58 +0100, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 09:45:33AM +0100, Jan Stocker wrote:
>> Hi boys n girls,
>>
>> to make gettext and gettext-old conflicting kills half of the ports-
>> tree. if you cant install gettext-old you cant install glib20.... you
>> can think whats the result. If you cant install gettext the same for
>> other ports.... if the new version creates a conflict we must downgrade
>> or better deconflict em !
>>
>> THIS IS REALLY AN URGENT ISSUE !!!!
>
> There are *NO* ports that depend on devel/gettext, so it is not really
> much of an issue.

Actually, it's an issue here.. A lot of people don't read the mailing list
or whatever, so they use the portupgrade to upgrade everything. The
result, it will upgrade the new gettext then all old ports are looking for
the gettext-old while there's no MOVE of gettext->gettext-old. It should
be have to be done by the opposite way by create gettext-new and keep
gettext as usually until the gettext-new is well tested. This will avoid
the problem(s) rather than create gettext-old and update gettext. This is
too late, so one of committer does really need to change all ports to
depend gettext and bump the version very soon as possible; it has been
hold for too long by now, IMO..

The people will have to do the deinstall of gettext and install
gettext-old or edit the database by change gettext->gettext-old to solve
the problem. I personal solve the problem by write a simple shell script
to convert all ports depend on gettext and rebuild everything, I am using
gettext 0.13 here with no problem.

Cheers,
Mezz

--