Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:53:25 -0500
From:      Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
To:        Miguel Ramos <freebsd@anjos.strangled.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strange visual artifacts in upper left corner of screen which respond to mouse activity.....

Miguel Ramos wrote:
> Ter, 2006-04-25 ās 10:15 -0500, Eric Schuele escreveu:
>> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>>> Eric Schuele wrote:
>>> [ ... ]

>>> It sounds like something is causing data to get scribbled over video
>>> memory when you move your mouse, but who knows?
>> That's the assumption I had (but I have no idea how to 'fix' it).  In
>> fact, if you could see it happen... it even "looks like" memory getting
>> allocated.  The blocks fill in left to right top to bottom (for the most
>> part).  First one block... then another.
>>
>>> You should probably not expect replies to a non-trivial message in less
>>> than 24-hours;
>> Sorry... my comment regarding the "number of replies" was a failed
>> attempt at humor.  I realize this is a bit of an odd one.
>>
>> My follow up to my own message was intended to introduce the new tidbit
>> of info I had found (XDMCP Chooser).
>
> My hint is very bad (I had a problem once, and assume any problem with
> gdm is the same). What is the value of the FirstVT option
> in /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf? Is that tty off in /etc/ttys?

Well, yes.  That is the case.  FirstVT=9 in gdm.conf.  I only have
ttyv0-ttyv4 set to on.  So I changed FirstVT to 4.  This had the
undesirable effect of causing GDM to be unresponsive to the keyboard
(mouse still worked).  Then I changed FirstVT to 5... keyboard now
works. And the odd artifacts remained.

Did I not make the change you were proposing properly?  I don't believe
this has any effect.

--
Regards,
Eric