Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:27:45 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5-PRERELEASE announcement ?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 03:28:47PM -0800, Bruce A. Mah stood up and spoke:

> We're in codefreeze on the RELENG_4 branch, and if you build a kernel
> from up-to-date sources, it'll say "4.5-PRERELEASE" and not
> "4.4-STABLE".  From now until 4.5-RELEASE, any commits to RELENG_4 get
> reviewed by the release engineers first (with a few exceptions).
>
> murray announced this on one of the committers lists but I haven't seen
> it anywhere else.

I didn't see it anywhere else either, which is actually kind of sad. I
guess not only the commiters on the commiters list would like to be updated
about things like this. So, I guess, for "normal people" to be able to keep
up with the events leading towards the release, wouldn't it be a good idea
to mail a copy of such announcements to a more "general" place? -announce
comes to my mind first, but if that one is only for announcing the actual
release, probably -stable should do it, as it is highly likely that those
who would like to know when the code is freezed so that they can CVSup and
test it, are most likely subscribed to -stable.

Just my $.02.

Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany