Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:58:05 -0400
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <nathan@vidican.com>
To:        <hubs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   mirroring FreeBSD

I would like to help. I have a small amount of bandwidth which I can
contribute to help mirror the releases over FTP. I am located in Windsor,
Ontario, Canada and I currently mirror most of /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386
locally for our own usage on our network. I would be willing to make this
site available to the public, but just need to know what's involved in
setting up a 'proper' mirror site. I would prefer to go through the 'proper'
channels and set things up right. I have currently got 2.2.2, 2.2.6, 2.2.8,
3.0, 3.1, 3.5.1, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 -RELEASE mirrored, with various
4.2-STABLE snapshots as well. I would like to setup as a mirror for the
old(er) distributions which are not currently available on the main FreeBSD
ftp site; to allow those who are still running the older releases access to
the files they may require. I am also of course willing to mirror the new
stuff too.
    I will commit up to 18gigabytes of storage, on my current ftp server for
this project (one hardisk), and can most likely sustain at least 5-10 users,
(depending on the bandwidth consumption). I have only got a 6 mbit pipe to
the internet, and as such must watch what I transmit so-as not to block out
any of the corporate (paid) traffic on our network.
    Please let me know if this project will/could be of use to the FreeBSD
effort, and if it's desired or not at this time. I would also like to know
if anyone else may be mirroring the old(er) distributions at this time?
Lastly, I'll need to know exactly what's involved in becoming an 'official'
mirror for FreeBSD. Please let me know if this is a valid proposition.

Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com