Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:34:37 +1000
From:      Da Rock <rock_on_the_web@comcen.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridge setup at boot

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 23:10 -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:
> > I feel like a real newbie asking this one, but the answer is still
> > eluding me :(
> >
> > I have a system where I'm separating my servers for distinction so I'm
> > running qemu.
> >
> > I have a bridge setup which works occasionally, but I need it to work
> > 100% of the time. I also need this to run at boot time, which is where
> > it seems to fall short (not to mention that on occasion even the re
> > driver fails to load- not sure if its hardware or software yet, but
> > appears to have no bearing on the bridge problem; I could still get an
> > ip address via dhcp when the bridge is not working).
> >
> > My loader.conf looks like this:
> >
> > snd_hda_load=YES
> > if_bridge_load=YES
> > if_tap_load=YES
> >
> > My rc.conf looks like this:
> >
> > cloned_interfaces="bridge0 tap0"
> > autobridge_interface="bridge0"
> > autbridge_bridge0="re0 tap0"
> > ifconfig_re0="up"
> > ifconfig_tap0="up"
> > ifconfig_bridge0="DHCP"
> >
> > If I tell re0 to use DHCP as well, I can access the host, but not the
> > guest. If I run qemu in a script, the guest cannot get a DHCP address.
> >
> > This seems to happen intermittently- one problem then the other. If the
> > bridge fails to get an ip from dhcp, I find re going down just after
> > bridge0 starts looking for an ip- re comes up again after that starts.
> > If bridge0 does get an ip, the tap0 will go down and qemu guest can't
> > get an ip.
> >
> > I feel like I'm going round in circles now. Using rc.conf nothing
> > appears to be happening in order- things seem to be going up and down
> > when they feel like instead of when they should. I need this to be
> > stable, not a "cross your fingers and toes, we're going in" scenario-
> > which is what bridging appears to be like at startup. Manually I can get
> > it working off the bat, but I'm trying to get this working within the
> > framework provided.
> >
> > For reference the sysctl.conf settings mentioned in some circles are
> > useless in 7.1- net.link.ether.bridge_cfg and
> > net.link.ether.bridge.enable aren't recognized.
>
> Can you stabilize the bridge at boot, without any other software
> starting up?

The short answer is no. The usual problem here is re0 goes down just
after bridge0 goes looking for an ip. The other times are a mix of tap0
going down or some other gremlin I haven't been able to find yet.

> If not, does re0 get set up consistently with the same config with a
> basic setup?

It can, but that would depend on whether the driver picks it up during
boot. If the driver comes back with an error then re0 doesn't exist for
the rc.conf, if re0 does exist it usually sets up and runs ok during the
entire system up time (as far as I'm aware- I'm accessing the system
usually through ssh, I haven't seen anything strange in the logs, so ?).

> I had similar issues a while back (pre 7.1) in which sometimes 're'
> devices didn't start up at the proper speed/duplex. Every once in a
> while, it would show up at 10 or 100 half, when it should have been auto
> set at full 100 or 1000. If I forced proper speed/duplex, other outside
> programs began to work properly.
>
> However, I haven't witnessed those issues since 7.1

I didn't know about that, but given the problems I'm having I'm starting
to wonder if they could be a root cause of the problem here.