Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:19:08 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   utmp/wtmp and libutil

You may recall all the fuss back in January 1997 about the change to
UT_NAMESIZE in 3.0 that broke compatibility with 2.2 binaries.  Indeed,
I immediately changed it back in my copy, and more or less forgot about
it.

Then came the proposed revamp of libutil to remove the need for applications
to be so intimate with system file formats.  This seems to have ground to
a halt in June 1997.

I have one possible weekend of coding to beat the 3.0 beta deadline.
Should I even attempt to resurrect David Nugent's (apparently) abandoned
code changes?  The code defines new xutmp and xwtmp structures, and
manipulates them in interesting ways, but does not document the overall
direction.  My goal is to allow old binaries to play with utmp and wtmp
without breaking the rest of the system.  I'm not sure where he was
headed.

If anyone collaborated with him on the design (I've been unable to reach
him), or has any funky ideas on how binaries with different definitions
of struct utmp can coexist, I'd like to hear from you.

Stephen.