Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 18:09:06 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Clark <jc@netview.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pine maxes host out...

> I have an occasional problem with pine under FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE.  See how
> this process (below) becomes detached from the user and eats CPU time like
> nobody's business?
>
>  USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED       TIME COMMAND
>  username   143 126.9 10.5  3160 3248  p0- RN    1:12PM   34:00.91 pine
>
> I can kill -9 the process ok, and things return to normal... it is just that
> sometimes this goes on for hours before I get to it, yielding .99 (or so)
> utilization in the mean time.
>
> Does anyone know why this is, or what can be done about it?

Probably a bug in pine sending it into an infinite loop.  It's useful
to leave something like top or xperfmon++ (both in the ports) running
and glance at them occasionally, so you can see if any programs are
hogging the CPU.  (Careful though - xperfmon++ has a memory leak and
will become amazingly bloated if you don't stop and restart it every
now and again).