Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:01:46 -0500
From:      Rodney Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems installing

I'm new to FreeBSD (though not particularly new to free unices) and am
trying to get the 2.2.7-RELEASE version to install on a spare machine.
It's a AMD 486DX4-120MHz on a M-Technology R418 PCI-486 motherboard with
40M RAM, Adaptec 2940 PCI controller, 1 Quantum 240M HD, ATI Mach 64 ISA
video card and 3C0M 3C509b ethernet card.

I'm trying to do a network install from a single floppy.  I've been through
the kernel config, selected my devices and eliminated all (visible)
conflicts.  The install process seems to work pretty well until I get to
the point where the ethernet card is supposed to be initialized.  The
system sits for a long time with the message "Adding default route to
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx." where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the value of the gateway that I
entered in the network setup screen.  During this time I can ping the IP
address I gave the box, so it appears the card itself is active.
Eventually, the system comes back and says, "Cannot resolve hostname
'ftp.freebsd.org'!  Are you sure that your name server, gateway and network
interface are correctly configured?"  Which I am.  So I go through the
configuration process again, this time I select to enter a URL to download
from, I enter "ftp://209.155.82.18/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.7-RELEASE" which should
be the IP address and path to the 2.2.7 release on ftp.freebsd.org and it
does some stuff as if it's creating partitions on my HD and stuff, then
gives me the message, "Couldn't open FTP connection to 209.155.82.18:
Service not available, closing control connection."

I have tried this repeatedly and always get the same results.  It's as if
either the nameserver doesn't seem to work, which it does hundreds of other
machines us it daily, or, more likely, the card is not getting initialized
properly.  I have disabled Plug and Play on the 3C509.  It is set for IRQ
10 and Port 300.

So at this point, I'm at a loss.  Can anyone offer some insights, clue or
outright help?  I'm awfully frustrated!

Thanks in advance,

Rodney Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com