Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:52:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rex A. Roof" <rex@gunjin.wccnet.org>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Cc:        rex@gunjin.wccnet.org
Subject:   Putting in place an incoming sendmail limit

In order to prevent incoming DoS attacks via multiple sendmail connections,
I've tried adding the following ipfw rule:

allow tcp from any to any smtp limit src-addr 1

This works great, except that when it's triggered I get A LOT
of messages like this:

OUCH! cannot remove rule, count 1
drop session, too many entries

over and over and over and over...  I've tried adding a
'log logamount 1' in there, no difference.

I've tried changing the following sysctl settings, with no luck:

net.inet.ip.fw.debug, net.inet.ip.fw.verbose, net.inet.ip.fw.verbose_limit

I'd like to limit these incoming sendmail connections, but the
amount of logging output it creates is a bit extreme.   I tried
setting this up and just using telnet to connect to the sendmail port,
and a dozen or so messages is created in a few seconds, just with
two telnet sessions from the same machine.

						-Rex