Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:04:58 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, dave@jetcafe.org, tlambert2@mindspring.com, crap@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 10:07  PM, Juli Mallett wrote:
<snip some>
> iirc, as the god of life was known then), Judaism was born after ages
> passed, and from there, we end up with Christianity these days.  It
> would
> be more correct to say that Hebrew tribal elders made up hell;  you are
> forgetting that the roots of Christianity are in Judaism.

Judeo-christian faiths don't have the market on hell or hell-like
places.  Hinduism and Buddhism both have a hell like place.  I cannot
recall the names for it.

> And of course they made it up, it fulfills a number of low-level
> desires
> of the human psyche.
>
> Not that I'm not a religious person myself, it's just important to
> remember
> that all of this came from tribal traditions and warring, and that all
> of
> Wicca came from a lecherous old man who decided to take from Celtic and
> old European religions throughout the ages, and that Jesus was a man,
> and
> a great man, and a man who said great things.
>
> That doesn't mean any of it isn't true.  Just because one "makes
> something up"
> doesn't mean it's false.  It could be inherent in-born knowledge.

Many of the worlds religions share the same basic tenets.  Things like
views on stealing, killing, the idea of an afterlife.  Ever read
anything by Carl Jung?  He talks of a collective unconcious and race
memory.  Really interesting stuff.

> I prefer to believe that all beliefs are valid, most are probably
> somewhat
> right, and none are "wrong".

I disagree.  There is right and wrong in the world.  Killing another
human being is wrong for example.   An interesting side note, early
catholicism was against war, period.  Later it was rationalized and
made ok.  So even a religion's belifs change and would be wrong
depending on the period.  Many times right and wrong are not determined
by truth but by those in power.  But that doesn't mean there are some
universal truths about what should be right and should be wrong.

> It's all about people and perception.  Unfortunately, this universe
> seems
> built with the intentions to get people to look beyond perception -
> things
> have inherent beauty and structure at levels below what the eye can
> see,
> people are not always what they appear to be, and enjoying it is what
> really
> matters, to me.

The problem is many people refuse to look between the lines if you
will.  Many blindly accept what they are told to believe as though it
were canon.  If you look hard enough and in the right way even chaos
has a pattern.  Does this mean that there is a God?  I cannot say for
anyone but myself :).  But there seems to be a pattern to all things.
And beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
--Larry