Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 13:20:45 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How To Burn CDs

> As David O'Brien wrote ...
> > > "Another possibility, if you have the RAM, is to use the team(1)
> > > program (it's in the ports) to buffer the data as it goes to the burner.
> >
> > Any reason not to use ``cdrecord -fs=64m'' (or some simular size)
>
> Any reason to? I mean, I never had to go over the default cdrecord
> uses. But I only have a 2x writer and I generally create an iso image
> file first.

At 2x,  300kb/sec , the default  cdrecord fs's buffer size  provides 13
seconds of buffering
that should be enough for  most cases. At higher speed the amount of
prepocessing
that mkisofs does starts playing a more important role however if you have
created
a iso image then mkisofs is not a factor.

For illustrative purposes, here is a sample command execution for mkisofs
piping
an iso 9660 file stream to cdrecord:

mkisofs -R /mount | cdrecord -blank=fast -v fs=4m speed=3 -

That sample command syntax is sufficient for a "normal" cd creation someone
like JKH can probably tell us if it is sufficient for creating a  FreeBSD
cdrom
"package" distribution  --- that is a resonable large filesystem structure.

	Cheers

--

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@rah.star-gate.com