Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 02:11:48 +0000
From:      David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        David Banning <david@banning.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digiboard serial port behaviour problem

> >I am converting an old SCO system to FreeBSD and the database they
> >are running is an old SCO 3.2 binary.
> >
> >The digiboard PC/xe board seems to work with vi and mutt fine but
> >when there t comes time for the opening screen on this database program
> > (I guess there is a burst of a lot of characters at one time)
> >the terminal hangs.
> >

> Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that the TERMINAL hangs and not the session?

After some testing, it appears to be the session that is hanging.
Turning the wyse50 terminal off and on again does not produce
a working line again.
I even try to kill it with a "kill -9" and it takes quite a while
to die.

> This would seem to be a session thing, not a terminal problem.  But,
> if it really is a terminal problem, then you might be able to
> specify padding in the termcap entry for the terminal that would
> fix the problem.  Padding was often used for older 3-wire installations that
> used xon/xoff and the older terminals that
> only supported xon/xoff.

Well I wonder about this now. I have tried a test that man
termcap suggests (in vi delete 16 lines, then hit u several times quickly)
and it appears to work just fine.
It also appears that I have eliminated the digiboard as the culprit.
I attached a dumb terminal to /dev/cuaa0 and I get the same problem.
I also tried connecting a dumb terminal directly to a full (7 wire?)
serial line, and I have the problem there too.

So now I am stumped even as to where to look for the problem.
I did a "stty -f /dev/cuaD00" on one of the ports and got;

speed 38400 baud;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo
iflags: -icrnl -ixon -ixany -imaxbel -brkint
oflags: -opost onocr onlret
cflags: cs8 -parenb

Any ideas where to go from here?