Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:28:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        stefan@syprix.se
Cc:        Haider Roland <r.haider@liwest.at>, "'freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installing on compaq smart array 3200?

> > this might be a little bit off topic, but i hope someone here has
> > already done something similar.
> >
> > i'm tryin' to install freebsd on a raid set connected to a compaq
> > smart array 3200.
> > unfortunately this is plugged into an asus p3b-f and not into a compaq
> > machine, so the help i got from them was: nill.
> > thing is it seems i can't run the array configuration utility without the
> > compaq firmware and to use the runtime programm the driver has to
> > be installed.
> > however, to install the driver the array has to be configured...
> >
> > maybee i'm missin' something in the handbook, but at the moment
> > i'm pretty stuck with this.

The Compaq controllers are "captive", ie. they can only be used in a
Compaq system.

> > so any ideas are welcome, i just can't buy a proliant or a different
> > controller.

You have no choice - the controller just can't be used in any other
system to the best of my knowledge.  If you want to install onto a raid
array you'll need to pick up a Mylex or AMI controller and move to
-current.