Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 1999 11:36:35 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: why 'The legacy aout build' was removed from current ?

Motoyuki Konno wrote:

> I also wonder why a.out support was removed from -current.

a.out support has not been removed. We just don't do any legacy a.out
building.

> I think we don't need "a.out world" any more, but a.out support
> (a.out lib/shared lib, etc.) is still needed.

For this, the proper compat distribution should/can be installed.

> Some commercial
> programs such as Netscape are in a.out only, so we still have to
> make a.out binaries.

No, we only have to *run* them. This we do. If Netscape were to compile
on -current, they would have an ELF version...

> Please see Netscape plugin port (ports/www/flashplugin) to find
> out why we still have to need a.out support.

The port has nothing to do with building a legacy a.out world and
consequently works fine (yes, I tested it :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/