Date:      Mon, 23 May 2005 02:38:43 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, delphij@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CALL FOR TESTERS] VESA High Resolution Console support from DragonFly

Hi Xin,

> Dear -CURRENT users,
>
> I would like to solicit a test of the following patchset which is based
> on DragonFly's changes, against -CURRENT, to bring high resolution console
> support to FreeBSD.  The current patchset can be considered as "BETA" and
> I would commit it if there is no complain about this patchset in the next
> week.
>
> The patchset can be found at:
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/vesa/patchset-highres.20050522
>
> To use it, you will need latest -CURRENT code, and apply the patchset at
> toplevel source tree, i.e. /usr/src for usual cases.  Then you need to build
> and reinstall your kernel, with 'options SC_PIXEL_MODE' compiled in, and
> optionally options VESA if you don't want to manually load VESA support
> module.  A make buildworld/installworld is recommended, but I believe that
> just rebuild/reinstall usr.sbin/vidcontrol is enough to get your hands on
> the support for using something like 'vidcontrol MODE_239' or so, which will
> switch the current console to that mode.  Some mode may not work on certain
> cards, though.
>
> Please let me know if anything strange happens;  While I have been running
> with the patch for a while, I would still be happy if you will report that
> it works :-)
>
> Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your work.

I have used the patch for five minutes now and it seems to work well.
I can switch to multiple resolutions (640x480, 800x600, 1024x768), switch
console.  When I set a non-supported resolution, the screen stay blanked
a few seconds and then goes back to the last resolution telling this
operation is not supported by device.  Perfect.

The mouse cursor is BEAUTIFUL !!  It's far more better than the standard
one in classic console mode.

Note that I don't use either X or an USB mouse on this laptop.  The video
card is an ATI Radeon X700.

One question however : is it supposed to consume more CPU than classical
non-VESA text mode ?

Thanks again for your work and Sacha Wildner's.

Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen