Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 00:32:48 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Nate Williams" <nate@sneezy.sri.com>
Cc:        Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>, brian@Awfulhak.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On-demand dynamic PPP not doing default route correctly

[.....]
> Hmm, that seemed to do the 'routing' trick for sure.  *MUCH* better than
> having to futz with the routing.  However, I don't know what's happening
> with the link getting all balled up, since I'm not sure whose fault it
> is.

The rationale behind the ppp.linkup bit is that ppp doesn't know
where your default route should point 'till it negotiates an IP with
the other side.  The ``add default HISADDR'' will do this.  Ppp
doesn't cache these ``add'' and ``delete'' commands and re-apply them
when the interface addresses change (which I believe pppd does with
the ``defaultroute'' config option).  Therefore, the ppp.linkup file
must have them.

If you're in -auto mode, the `set ifaddr' will configure the interface
immediately.  If not, the `set ifaddr' values are only used at the
negotiation stage, and the final IPs agreed are used to configure the
interface for the first time.  This is true for interactive mode (ppp
myisp).  Because of this, the "add ..." fails - no route to HISADDR.

> Thanks alot for the routing information.  It's certainly made life
> easier for me!

As far as the link jamming is concerned, lqr and ECHO lqr now works
properly (well, for me anyway).  While re-organising it in the MP
branch, I discovered what the problem has been all these years :-)

You may want to

  enable lqr
  set log +lqm

or if you're in interactive mode (or on a diagnostic socket)

  set log local +lqm

You should see if the other side is silently drifting into oblivion.
It's also worth doing the occasional ``show hdlc'' to see if you're
getting FCS errors - lots of them may mean you've got a login: prompt
at the other end :-(

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;