Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:55:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        noor@comrax.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: one IP, multiple hosts.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 noor@comrax.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering about a certain issue I would like to get help on. Suppose
> you have one IP, 192.168.10.80, which is the IP of many hosted domains
> (and their respective hosts) on a certain web server.
>
> Using Apache's NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost directives, I can direct
> the flow of packets being sent to the same IP to different hosts.
>
> My question is: using tcpdump, trafshow, snort, or any other program I
> don't know about, how can I know which host is being accessed when the
> only information I got is: IP address, and port number (80 for web) ?

By using one of the above programs, you should be able to sniff and find
out what host/page was requested (HTTP is plain text).  Of course, you can
also look in apache's logs.

Also, since this really doesn't pertain specifically to FreeBSD -stable
branches, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org would probably have been more
appropriate.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org