Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:16:27 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 11:31 AM 11/29/2000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >Or SAMBA, which we also shipped on the box?
> >
> >These were tactical, not strategic; shipping source for these
> >wouldn't matter, since they don't contain any intellectual
> >property that matters to anyone.  Let people demand the code
> >if they want: we include a web page with links to the source
> >to everything they could demand, right on the box.
>
> It doesn't seem to me that this would avoid the problems
> you mentioned earlier. GPLed code is still infectious.

I'd be concerned about that, too.  We've studied the issue and have decided
that to put GPLed code in the standard system would be dangerous.  It does
not appear to be a problem for optional components, so we may use GPL code
for elective add-on products.  This even drove us to use PostgreSQL rather
than MySQL in our product, though MySQL would have been a better fit.

I must say I like pgsql a lot better.

> I understand embedded systems very well -- that's one of the
> things I do. However, as we all know, selection is a much
> less powerful paradigm than specification, and fixing a
> box or using it to its full potential often requires the
> power of a command line. What's more, the strategic UI code
> almost certainly calls on such utilities to do its work and
> therefore depends upon them.

Not if they're not in the box.  Using my box to it's full potential doesn't
require a command line, because it doesn't have one.