Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:28:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Florian Schrack <florian.schrack@freenet.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        keith@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/31195: Missing meta-simulator in mmix port

>Number:         31195
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Missing meta-simulator in mmix port
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD ramanujan.dyndns.org 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #3: Sun Oct 7 16:20:12 CEST 2001 root@ramanujan.dyndns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL i386

Prof. Knuth's MMIX tarball, which is used in the mmix port, contains the
sources for a program called mmmix (a meta-simulator for MMIX).
At my machine, this program is successfully compiled during 'make' but not
installed during 'make install'.
I think this is just an unintentional mistake because the program can be
run without problems and the port maintainer has just forgotten to include
the installation command for the mmmix binary in the Makefile.
>How-To-Repeat:
Type 'make' in /usr/ports/lang/mmix. Watch mmmix being successfully
compiled.
To see that the mmmix binary actually works change to the directory where it
was compiled (usually /usr/ports/lang/mmix/work) and type the following:

./mmixal primes.mms
./mmix -Dprimes.mmb primes
./mmmix plain.mmconfig primes.mmb

At the now appearing prompt ('mmmix>') type '1000000' and watch a list of
500 primes being generated. Exit the simulator with 'q'. No error should
appear, so the mmmix program seems ready for inclusion in the port.
>Fix:
Add one line to the Makefile. Here is a patch:

--- begin of patch ---
*** Makefile.orig       Wed Oct 10 15:59:14 2001
--- Makefile    Wed Oct 10 16:00:02 2001
***************
*** 23,28 ****
--- 23,29 ----
 	${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/mmix ${PREFIX}/bin
 	${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/mmixal ${PREFIX}/bin
 	${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/mmotype ${PREFIX}/bin
+	${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/mmmix ${PREFIX}/bin
 	@${MKDIR} ${MMIXDIR}
 	${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/README ${MMIXDIR}
 	${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/*.mmconfig ${MMIXDIR}
--- end of patch ---

An additional suggestion is to upgrade to the newest version of MMIX
from Prof. Knuth's homepage as some details in the simulator might have
changed.