Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:05:08 -0700
From:      Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>
To:        David Olbersen <dave@slickness.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports are insecure?

:: I read (in this list I think) that somebody was of the opinion that
:: every port installed decreases the security of a machine.

I'm not sure I would go that far, but I would say that for every network
port you have open, the amount of admin time does increase.  In a way it
does make it more insecure, but only if you don't keep up with security
upgrades, patches, etc.

:: How exactly does that work? Is this based in the idea that nearly
:: anybody can contribute a port, but the core system is reviewed by a
:: team?

Not just anybody can contribute to a FreeBSD port entry; the commit still
has to be done by an authorized committer.  However, it's true that just
about anybody's software package can become a port, so if you just blindly
start installing ports, you might, on rare occasions, install a piece of
software that's been trojaned (take the recent OpenSSH trojan for example).

I hope (maybe) this addressed some of your questions :)  If you have more
questions about the ports system, I'd check out the relevant section of the
Handbook:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports.html

Cheers - Erick