Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:32:26 -0500
From:      Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: beastie boot menu, 4th (forth)

	[I've moved this to chat as i figure it's the best forum]

On Jan 09, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
[ snip stuff I not responding to ]

> forth looks like it's an interesting (love/hate kind of thing) language,
> and I'd like to get my hands on it. Can anyone recommend good (or just
> any, really) introductory material? google quickly degrades into misses,
> and just a few even of those.

	I really like:
	"Thinking Forth, A Language and Philosophy for Solving
Problems", Leon Brodie (ISBN 0-13-917568-7).

	This book has had the most profound effect on me of any
programming document I've ever read (well, other than the turbo pascal
4 manuals).  Although it's dated (hand drawn illustrations, dot-matrix
font for source code), it's funny and relevant.
	I guess I'm so fond of it because it was the first text I'd
seen that taught generally how to attack software engineering
problems, the importance of elegance, how/when/where to generalize.
etc, etc, etc.
	It should be taught in every high school.

	--Mat

--
		Applicants must also have extensive knowledge of UNIX,
	although they should have sufficiently good programming