Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:35:12 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, Jamie Landeg Jones <jamie@dyslexicfish.net>
Subject:   Re: docs/184791: [patch] man page for 'diff3' references 'info diff' instead of 'info diff3'

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 02:33:30PM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> >Most obsessive/pedantic/picky PR of the year goes to me, with:
> >
> >The man page for diff3(1) refers to 'info diff' instead of
> >'info diff3'
> >

> >>How-To-Repeat:
> >
> >% man diff3
> >
> >Compare the similarity of the end of this page with the end of the
> >'man diff' page.
> >
> >Both refer to 'info diff' for more information, but if you compare
> >the results of 'info diff' and 'info diff3' you'll clearly see that
> >the man page for diff3 should be referencing 'info diff3'.
>=20
> Agreed.  However, this is "contrib" software from an external
> source, and we generally prefer to get them patched upstream to
> avoid having to maintain local patches.  I think this is the project
> page:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/
>=20
> It's not clear how they prefer to get bug reports, but maybe a post
> to their mailing list would help.

Just for the record, I believe that some GNU projects now use the
debbugs installation at http://debbugs.gnu.org/ - and from a quick look
at http://debbugs.gnu.org/Packages.html it seems that diffutils is
indeed among them.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net roam@FreeBSD.org p.penchev@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13
The rest of this sentence is written in Thailand, on

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--