Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:40:30 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        justsovanilla@yahoo.co.in
Cc:        barbish@a1poweruser.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Re: Installing on a logical DOS partition

-----Original Message-----
From: "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To: justsovanilla@yahoo.co.in
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:31:00 -0400
Subject: Re: Re: Installing on a logical DOS partition

-----Original Message-----
From: "Piyush" <justsovanilla@yahoo.co.in>
To: <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:14:53 +0530
Subject: Re: Installing on a logical DOS partition

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe & Fhe Barbish=20
  To: Piyush=20
  Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 10:44 PM

  FBSD does not install into DOS partitions. During the FBSD install it wil=
l show you the primary hard drive. If the dos partition is on the primary=
 HD you will have to use commands from the screen that displays the HD, t=
o delete the DOS partition and allocate the FBSD slice to that free space=
. =20

   Isn't it possible to use the space in the DOS partition for FBSD,I dont =
mind formatting it as 165(the FBSD filesystem),i just don't know how to a=
llocate space on my hard-disk for freebsd is this possible(keeping my Win=
dows primary partition which stores Windows......)......and if possible h=
ow? I've already installed Linux(Red-hat,mandrake,suse)and I was thinking=
 on those lines where you can ask Linux to use a particular partition for=
 it and then format it to ext2 and run Linux.......Is something like this=
 possible thro' Fbsd?

  Thanx......

  Piyush

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It amounts to exactly the same thing - when the=20
installation is done you'll have a FreeBSD "slice"=20
where the DOS "partition" was.  You'll be shown=20
a screen during the installation that lists the=20
partitions (Windows language) or slices (FreeBSD=20
language) on your machine, which will show an area=20
on the disk being used for DOS.  First delete the=20
DOS partition, then create a FreeBSD slice in the=20
emptied space (it's very quick and simple).  Then=20
proceed with the rest of the installation.

Jud

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

My apologies, Piyush, I may have steered you wrong.
I failed to take sufficient note of the fact that
you're speaking of *logical* DOS partitions.  Start
the install (you can cancel out of it) and see if the
DOS partition is shown in the list of
slices/partitions.  If it is, you're good to go.  If
not, them I'm afraid you'd need to do some reworking
of your partitions/slices with a program like
Partition Magic or (less expensive but IMHO excellent)
BootitNG from Terabyte Unlimited.

Jud