Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:30:40 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        Stefan Peter <stefan@omega.ailab.sztaki.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: startx

Stefan Peter wrote:

> > 1st of all: U didnt correctly define modes for ur X server.
> > Depending on ur monitor and videocard U may define
> > different videomodes with different color depth.
> > My advice is to run X86Setup utility which will write
> > appropriate config file for U. But U *must* know
> > which video hardware U have and its features.
> > Of course ur videocard must be supported by XFree.
> > (man X86_Accel.1 X86_SVGA.1)
> That's fine, but in this case how it was possible that the install-process
> was able to switch into video mode?

I didnt understand ur question..

> And also started the X-server without
> any problems.
> How can I gain information about my videocard without having
> paper-based hardware description?

In most cases it's enough to know video card and monitor model
and what is ur monitor - LR/NI or MPRII or whatever. Xaccelerators
listed for known cards listed in X86Setup.

--
WBW  Andy V. Oleynik            (When U work in virtual office
prime.net.ua's                   U have good chance to obtain