Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:41:22 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How "safe" is 5.2 to use?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2004, at 4:45 AM, Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:
>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> You have to use FreeBSD 4.9, because you can see in freebsd web page
>> prodcution version is 4.9. and please test it maybe you will see you
>> can not
>> install 5.2 on your hardware because when I try to install 5.1 on my
>> intel
>> platform I faced a problem then now I'm using 4.9 . Everybody will say
>> that
>> wait until more tested version and now its 4.9
>>

> Which begs the question.  Will FBSD 5 ever be deemed worthy for
> production use?

That's a question that only you can answer.

Will there ever be a time when The FreeBSD Project offically recommends
5.x for production use? Almost certainly yes - just not yet. Each
sysadmin has to make his own decision about when he wants to upgrade.
Some might have no problems with 5.x as it stands and want to upgrade
immediately to make use of new functionality - other may want to wait
longer.

This isn't a one-size-fits-all question.

Andrew