Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:42:38 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        jb3insf@pacbell.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus A7A266

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 11:25:39PM -0700, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
> I have an unresolved issue with XFree86-4.2.0, -stable, and an ASUS
> A7N266-E motherboard with integrated GeForce2 VGA, the nForce chipset.

I was looking at this about two weeks ago for someone else and
we didn't make a lot of progress. I think it is another problem
other than MTRR problem that the ASUS boards were tickling. Even
if we disabeled the MTRR code we still ended up with lockups.

Since then I've discovered by experimentation that some of the MTRRs
seem to control the mapping of the ACPI tables into memory on my
motherboard (ASUS A7A266). Speculating wildly, it is possible that
on the A7N266-E the mapping of the video BIOS is controled by a
similar means, but isn't mapped in by default. In that case X would
have to know some seriously ugly magic to know how to map the
BIOS.

OTOH, the problem could be something completly different.

	David.