Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 17:36:00 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        chiew@ibm.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD installation floppy images

> Are all of the BSD installation floppies available at ftp.freebsd.org? I
> can't find them!

Yes, they're under the 'dists' directory - each distribution has been
cunningly split up into 240kB chunks, so you can fit 5 on a 1.2M
floppy and 6 on a 1.44M floppy. The only tricky thing is that the
install program will expect them to be in the relevant directory, in
alphabetical order, so each floppy should look something like

A:\bin\bin.aa
       bin.ab
       bin.ac
       bin.ad
       bin.ae
       bin.af

and not

A:bin.ce
  bin.ab
  bin.ba
  bin.yz

> I don't have the CDROM and want to do a completely
> floppy based installation.

It might be easier to use the install program's FTP-on-demand
facility, or to put the files on a DOS hard disk, if either of these
are possible for you. (Though I installed 2.1.0 from floppies when it
was released, as my employer had a T1 and it wasn't practical to take
my computer in to work...)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk