Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:03:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        bob@luke.pmr.com, hoek@hwcn.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Bob Willcox writes:

[....]
> 4.  This whole thing is probably cyclical.  In the 1960s, IBM
>     recognized what the emerging computer market needed, and they
>     supplied it in a way which helped them to increase their lead from
>     their competitors.  Microsoft did the same in the 80s.
>     Ultimately, I suspect, a sense of complacency and a lack of
>     interest in solving customer problems, combined with changes in
>     technology, caused IBM to come down from its pedestal.  I'm sure
>     that the same will happen to Microsoft.  Why is NT such a pig?
>     It's supposed to be a completely new start, but they've got so
>     locked into their corporate way of thinking that they can't really
>     start afresh.

Meanwhile, what is Bill Gates going to do with Apple, assuming that
Apple probably needs continuing infusions of funds and Microsoft
therefore has some influence?

	--He got some anti-trust protection by keeping them alive
	  (by agreeing to produce Mac versions of Excel etc. for 5 years)
	--He settled law suits, for an undisclosed sum
	--He got access to at least some software....

But as a long term strategy....

	--Rewrite the graphics etc. apps where Apple is the leader
for Windows (NT, whatever); let Apple struggle, die, get absorbed
	--Rewrite the whole operating system to run on Intel &
compatible hardware, sell both operating systems, both sets of
software (or the Mac OS as an "add-on" to Windows; automatic
installation of both by clicking an icon, of course)

Idle spectulation.

	Annelise