Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 1995 18:26:18 (CST)
From:      lets@risc.austin.ibm.com (Richard Letsinger)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Org)
Cc:        lets@lets.austin.ibm.com (Richard Letsinger)
Subject:   FreeBSD Installation Difficulties - Part 3.2

Hi Jordan,

) I sent this note on the 17th.  Haven't gotten a response and had this
) problem once before, so thought I'd best send it again.

Thanks again for the help.  I need just a little more if you're willing.

Review of my machine environment:

I'm putting FreeBSD on my 2nd disk.  I have a primary DOS partition of 153MB
on this disk and the rest (362MB) devoted to FreeBSD.  My CD drive is not
supported by FreeBSD, so I copy needed directory trees from the CD to the
DOS partition under DOS and do the FreeBSD install from the DOS partition.
All the installations have worked except X.

> That's because DOS name mangling has changed the names on your disk! :-(
> You'll have to make a tree of symlinks pointing into the DOS partition
> using the original names, or soemthing.  The XFree86 distribution was never
> done with DOS 8.3 name mangling in mind (and oversight, and something I've
> been meaning to talk to the XFree86 project about).  You can either do
> this, or tar up the entire dist onto your DOS partition and then copy it
> back and unpack it under FreeBSD.  Just so it doesn't get squeezed through
> the DOS namespace!

Whew!  I was worried there was no solution to this problem.  Now I'm anxious
to get home to try installing X again, but I have a couple of questions
first.

Option 1 - "make a tree of symlinks pointing into the DOS partition"

- So I would make a directory structure just like the original
  XFREE86_ directory on the CD?  You say to use the "original names" - of
  the CD XFREE86_ directory?  But they are already DOSified aren't they?
  Otherwise DOS couldn't read them right?  Or there's the translation file
  (I forget its name) in the root directory on the CD.  I believe it
  specifies that XFREE86_ (in DOS) translates to XFree86-3.1.  Are the
  "original names" that I should use given in translate files?  If so do I
  look thru the full XFREE86_ directory for translate files?

- Where do I put this tree?  Do I make an entry in "/" of "/XFree86-3.1"
  pointing to "/dos/XFREE86_"?

- What is a "tree of symlinks"?  I've used symbolic links a lot, but only
  on an individual basis.  If I make a symlink of "/XFree86-3.1" pointing to
  "/dos/XFREE86_", it puts the link in "/" I think.  But then, if I make a
  symlink of "/XFree86-3.1/foo" pointing to "/dos/XFREE86_/foo", where is
  the entry put?  Isn't it put in "/dos/XFREE86_"?  But, "/dos/XFREE86_" is
  over in the DOS partition.  That doesn't work does it?

Option 2 - "tar up the entire dist onto your DOS partition and then copy it
            back"

- How do I tar under DOS?

- Will a tar of the entire distribution fit in my 153MB DOS partition?

- Can I just tar the XFREE86_ directory and put it in my DOS partition?

Option 1 or Option 2

- How do I run the install without starting all over from scratch?  The
  documentation says to run /sbin/sysinstall, but that does a complete
  reinstall doesn't it?

Thanks again for all your help.

Richard Letsinger     | Austin, TX  78758 | e-mail: lets@risc.austin.ibm.com
Disclaimer:  This note is from me and is independent of IBM.