Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 21:38:41 -0500
From:      "Nick Lozinsky" <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
To:        "'Luke Downey'" <gnawing_beaver@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: New to *nix, having some hiccups :-)

> Alright, I'm totally new to FreeBSD (pfft, to any *nix environment for
> > > that
> matter :-D), and I'm having a few problems that I'd like to work out.
> > > I'll
> appreciate any help anyone can give me, and I'm just glad that there's
so
> many people here to help out.
>
> Anyway, down to the nit and grit...
>
> 1) I've got a Logitech USB iFeel mouse, and I'm not sure how to get it

> working.  From the graphical XFree setup screen, none of the mouse > >
> > > protocols
> work (not even the Logitech one), I have no idea how to get it
working.
> Basically a step-by-step is what I'm looking for on this one since I'm

> dumbfounded by the new OS structure and everything ;-).

Read the Handbook and use google.com to look for USB config. help. It's
matter of including a few things in the kernel and rebooting.

> 2) I've also got a Logitech USB iTouch keyboard, which does not want
to > > work
> in USB.  It's got a PS/2 plug which is what I've been using, but if I
use
> the USB plug it just won't work (I was just thinking of the USB Legacy

> support in BIOS, but I think I have that on already, anyway I'll go
check,
> but even still I'd like to get it working natively).

Same thing.

> 3) FreeBSD does not support my NIC.  However, there is a Linux driver
for
> it, so I was wondering if it'd be possible (Linux binary compatibility
> > > help
> here?) to use that driver.  It's the Linksys WMP11 wireless card.

Check the LINT file.

> 4) I have a Radeon 8500 graphics card.  X doesn't support this yet,
but I
> was wondering if the Rage 128 driver (most current ATI driver listed)
> > > would
> work well enough that I could at least get higher resolution and/or
color
> depth.

I think the new XFree86 4.2 supports this card.

> 6)
>
> a. How can I customize the boot manager (it's listing Windows 2000
just as
> "???" on the boot menu, just a little cosmetic thing here, not major
:-D)
> b. Can FreeBSD mount NTFS partitions (the aforementioned Windows 2000
> partition)?

You can use Windowz's boot loader to do that. And yes, FreeBSD does
support
NTFS partitions.