Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:48:10 -0600
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forcing a portupgrade?

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Tuesday, February 13, 2007 16:25:23 -0600 Chris
> <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:
>>> # portupgrade mozilla
>>> --->  Upgrading 'mozilla-1.7.12_5,2' to
>>> 'mozilla-1.7.13_2,2' (www/mozilla)
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> ===>  mozilla-1.7.13_2,2 has known vulnerabilities:
>>> => mozilla -- multiple vulnerabilities.
>>>    Reference:
>>> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/e6296105-449b-11db-ba89-000c6ec7
>>> 75d9.html> => mozilla -- multiple vulnerabilities. Reference:
>>> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/e2a92664-1d60-11db-88cf-000c6ec7
>>> 75d9.html> => Please update your ports tree and try again. *** Error
>>> code 1
>>>
>>> My ports tree IS up to date, and I have a copy of mozilla-1.7.13_2,2
>>> in /usr/ports/distfiles, but obviously there is no current fix for the
>>> vulnerability(s). I would still like to upgrade Mozilla to 1.7.13_2,2.
>>> Is there a way to force the upgrade despite the port-vulnerability stop?
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>> An easy fix - remove the database portaudit uses. Loog somewhere in
>> /var/db ....
>>
>> Then rerun your portupgrade
>
> Yikes!  That's a bit drastic.  What's wrong with make
> DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES install?
>
> Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
> Senior Information Security Analyst
> The University of Texas at Dallas
> http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/

As I mentioned in a posting (not made it here yet) that is a drastic
move and the Op may have installed portaudit without understanding what
it means and does.

With that assumtion - I think my pending posting somewhat covers the
reason as to NOT do that.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Nothing is ever accomplished by a reasonable man.