Date:      28 Feb 2003 19:52:39 -0500
From:      Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: konsole causes DRI to fail

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 12:41, Adam wrote:
> Well, it seems that konsole is not the only application causing this
> problem. I did not launch konsole at all during this WM session, and
> when I reloaded the WM I got the same DRI error.
>
> Any idea how to 'clear' this DRI error without rebooting? The machine is
> also running multiple server daemons, and users get very angry with me
> if I keep kicking them off to reboot. ;c

So here's what I now know .. konsole does cause the problem
consistently, but it's not only on Fluxbox. I tested my theory with both
Afterstep and FVWM2 with the same results. However, as I mentioned
before, other applications are also causing the problem .. I decided to
completely uninstall and reinstall anything related to XFree86 and KDE.
In particular, here is what I reinstalled:

drm-kmod-0.9.6
arts-1.1,1
Mesa-3.4.2_2
XFree86-4.2.0_1,1
XFree86-font100dpi-4.2.0
XFree86-font75dpi-4.2.0
XFree86-fontEncodings-4.2.0
XFree86-fontScalable-4.2.0
XFree86-libraries-4.2.1_7
XFree86-clients-4.2.1_3
XFree86-FontServer-4.2.0_1
qt-3.1.1_4
kdelibs-3.1
kdebase-3.1_1
kde-3.1
kdemultimedia-3.1
kdegraphics-3.1
XFree86-Server-4.2.1_7
XFree86-fontDefaultBitmaps-4.2.0
wrapper-1.0_2
fluxbox-0.1.14_1

After reinstalling, the problem was *NOT* fixed. I have tried restarting
drm with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/drm.sh, but that doesn't work either (says
device is busy when I try to unload the modules).

I see XFree86 v4.3.0 is out, but it hasn't hit my cvsup server yet.
Maybe that will help fix the problem, or maybe not. This is really
driving me batty. I normally restart my WM if I upgrade any
graphics/multimedia libraries, but with this problem with DRI I now have
to reboot the machine completely. I *HATE* rebooting my server .. ;c

--
Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>