Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 09:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
Cc:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mem Use

:Don't think that's true for textfiles.
:
:I rmeember older *NIXes loaded processes off disk by causing
:a page fault to read in the binary. I imagine FreeBSD does soemthing similar,
:
:The pageins you'd see running cat or more are probably /bin/cat and
:/usr/bin/more being loaded.

    FreeBSD does demand-page executables, but if the data is
    already in the VM page cache then FreeBSD will pre-map some of the
    pages when you exec the program as an optimization -- so no
    (or fewer) faults will occur for those pages.

						-Matt