Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:34:05 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc/rc.d dhclient

--==_Exmh_-980095909P

If memory serves me right, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> mtm         2003/04/18 10:53:02 PDT
>
>   FreeBSD src repository
>
>   Modified files:
>     etc/rc.d             dhclient
>   Log:
>   Make use of the dhclient script. This will bring up/down dhcp
>   interfaces.
>
>   Approved by:    markm (mentor)

Hi Mike--

I use a start_if.* script to configure some settings (such as SSID, WEP
keys, etc.) for my wireless cards, which subsequently get their
addresses via DHCP (ifconfig.*="DHCP").  This has worked wonderfully for
quite awhile.

After updating with this change, it looks like my start_if.* scripts
never gets called.  It looks like /etc/rc.d/netif only runs these
scripts for non-DHCP interfaces. Moreover there doesn't appear to be
anywhere *else* that invokes the start_if.* scripts either.

What about making dhclient_prestart() do something like this:

	for ifn in ${dhcp_list}; do
		ifscript_up${ifn}
	done

(This works for me, BTW.)

Or am I misunderstanding what start_if.* is used for?

Thanks!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-980095909P

--==_Exmh_-980095909P--