Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:47:59 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDi Acquired by Embedded Computing Firm Wind River

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:40:39PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> >The questions I asked were not meant to denegrate FreeBSD, the
> >developers, or their valiant efforts. I may have issues with some aspects
> >of FreeBSD, but my respect for the whole ball of wax has never waned. I'm
> >still in the throes of learning my way around Unix. I haven't yet made a
> >decision between a flavor of Linux or an incarnation of BSD. This
> >discussion has been enlightening and informative, but I think that it
> >would serve no further good to continue publically. Please email me
> >privately with any further comments/suggestions.
>
> Sorry, Duke, I don't operate this way - I've learned never to say things
> privately through e-mail and other trackable communication that I wouldn't
> say publically.
>
> I understand where your coming from though, and it's a more common "newbie"
> issue than a lot of old-timers understand, espically folks that got into
> FreeBSD from the commercial UNIX side, rather than the Windows side.  This
> is why I'm spending time on this thread.

It's my guess that this discussion may have gone a long way to clear the
air about a lot of issues. This was one of the reasons why I jumped into
this thread and asked questions. I've read too many pat answers in the
past that did nothing more than confuse the issue on these matters, IMO.

As I stated in another post to this thread, I installed 3.3R on a
486DX2-66 1.5 yrs ago and have had fun playing and learning. I personally
have not had a "garbage component" issue. I must have lucked in. ;)

Although I may not agree with some details of your interpretation of the
issues, I do agree with the overall message that you were trying to
convey. This is exactly what I was trying to draw out from this
discussion, and I've learned a lot along the way. It's my hope that the
BSD "newbie" community and potential BSD converts now have a better
understanding of the issues involved in making the transition to Unix.
Believe it or not, I went through something very similar helping folks
making the transition from being hardware/bait fishermen to the fine art
of fly-fishing. My first sentence was: Folks...gone are the days of the
$5 K-Mart junk rods. OTOH, it was impressed upom them that they certainly
didn't need a $1000+ bamboo flyrod to have one hell of a good time - or
catch supper ;)

Thanks for your input!
--
-duke