Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:07:24 +1200
From:      C.R.Harding@massey.ac.nz
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Digital, Intel, Silicon Graphics (fwd)

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> FreeBSD in the recording studio, anyone? :)

Or the video post-production studio. With it's overall stability and
things like ccd offering cheap high-performance high-bandwidth
storage systems, FreeBSD would make an ideal video server platform,
as well as (in the first instance) a compute platform (or with a
small cluster, platforms) for all those icky video effects that take
so(!) long to render.

Panasonic's Smart-cart broadcast automation system, which consists of
a cabinet, tape loader robot, and a couple of VTRs and provides
everything you need for a basic cable channel or three (for a mere
$75 - $100k) uses either a Win NT or Unix (I don't know which
flavour) front end, except that the NT system doesn't have as much
functionality. :-)

						-- C.
--
Craig Harding   Acting Director, Massey University Television Production Centre
     "I don't know about God, I just think we're handmade" - Polly