Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 01:33:36 -0500
From:      "Jason Cribbins" <jasonc@concentric.net>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Mike Semcheski" <jimmyjump77@hotmail.com>, <FreeBSD@hm.homeip.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: natd failed to write packet back

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:48:57PM -0500, USER wrote:
> > I have a similar problem but this is affecting my clients.  It seems if
> > laptop stays connected longer than the default lease time I get the
> > following message
> > natd[89]: failed to write packet back (Host is down)
> >
> > and it repeats sometimes several hundred times an minute.
> >
> > On the client side the laptop in question loses all IP connectivity but
> > winipcfg reports a valid lease with up to 8 hours remaining in the
lease.
> > Release/Renew within the client machine resolve this trouble and often
the
> > same IP is reissued.
>
> If all connectivity is lost, the natd(8) message telling you the "host
> is down" seems quite appropriate. The fact you are losing connectivity
> sounds more like issues with DHCP or some other network configuration
> problem. It sounds like natd(8) is just reporting the problem, not
> causing it.

Its not conectivity..  when the problem occurs the computer claims to have a
valid IP and lease and can even ping everything on the local side of the NAT
Gateway but nothing on the other side.  The NAT Gateway is also the DHCP
server.

I did note that the problem seems to affect computers that are inactive for
long periods more.  I leave one computer connected to ICQ and it will happen
quite often.  I later installed a program called WeatherBug and the problem
almost never occurs now.  ICQ polls the server every few minutes or maybe a
couple times an hour or who knows.  Weatherbug polls every 1 second or less
when connected since it has to update wind direction/speed and temp info in
near real-time.

The problem still seems to kick in around lease renewal time and the
assigned IP the computer claims to lease is the same as before.  A constant
ping to an ip beyond the gateway does not prevent the trouble as the program
weatherbug does.  I am trying other applications to see if there is a
pattern.  So far it seems constant TCP traffic is the only thing that
prevents the trouble.

If you think of anything else let me know.  Otherwise in a few weeks we are
converting a Netopia DSL router for use on the new T1 line and it will have
the ability to handle NAT/DHCP in the router and our problem wont matter
anymore.  We used this router in the past for NAT/DHCP without any trouble
at all.  Just waiting for the Line to be dropped and the upgrade modules to
arrive.  Maybe I will just have everyone deal with things as they are now
until we make this conversion to the new office complete.