Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:16:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        MLandman@face2interface.com (Marty Landman)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to set up a dual boot system

> Does this mean I should start over, installing fbsd first and setting aside
> a slice on the first disk (second slice say) for windows?

No, definitely not.

> If I do that, will windows be able to format that second slice, i.e. will
> it see it as a partition?

No, that doesn't matter at all.

MS does not play friendly with any other system.
You have to install it first and then any other UNIX type system
or at least reinstall the MBR after installing MS - best to just
do MS first and then FreeBSD.

What happens is that MS will overwrite any boot information you
install with FreeBSD or any third party booter (Grub, Gag, etc)
and wipe it out.   Since the MS booter refuses to know anything
about any other system, you have to install it first, and then
tell FreeBSD (or third party booter) to install over top of it.

You cannot get a Win-98 system to boot to FreeBSD or Linux or whatever.
It refuses to know anything except Win-98 no matter which order you do it.
You have to have the FreeBSD (or lilo, etc) in there last because it
knows how to boot to everything.

So, make sure MS-98 or whatever is there and happy and then do the
FreeBSD install and tell it to put an MBR in the the first disk
as well as the others.   It will then work just fine (other than
maybe seeing some ??? in the boot menu - although MS-98 is old
enough and doesn't use NTFS so the FreeBSD MBR should know enough
to name it MSDOS).

Since you plan to put FreeBSD on a separate disk,  you don't have
to do anything about resizing any of the MS slice.

////jerry