Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:20:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@people.tecnik93.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcsh star-up files help needed

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

> Could someone explain to me what is the order tcsh's star-up file are
> processed ? The man page is rather unclear for me: The shell may read
> /etc/csh.login before instead of after /etc/csh.cshrc ....

Normally, tcsh reads its start-up files in the following order:

/etc/csh.cshrc
/etc/csh.login
~/.tcshrc
~/.cshrc
~/.login

You can check this by typing:

echo $version

If "lf" doesn't appear in the options list, the order given above is used.

> What I want and doesn't work if entered in /etc/csh.cshrc but works in
> ~/.cshrc, if possible, is to have the prompt for all users
>
> if (${TERM} == 'screen') then
>         set SCREEN_NAME = "/${STY:e}"
> else
>         set  = ''
> endif
>
> set prompt = ........${SCREEN_NAME}.....
>
> with the intent of having screen(1) session name somewhere in the prompt
> if the shell runs under screen or nothing if it is not under screen,
> without having to add the above lines to all users ~/.cshrc

I'd check the contents of $TERM within /etc/csh.cshrc by echoing it to
make sure that it is set as expected. Did you?

Regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de