Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 12:03:19 -0700
From:      DAve <dave@pixelhammer.com>
To:        dbjames@bga.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to access SAMBA shares via WIN NT

On Sun, 09 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Hi Dave,

>=20
> =09I haven't been able to get SWAT to work in spite of entering the=20
> correct lines in /etc/inetd.conf  and /etc/services.
>=20
Here is my line from inetd.conf;
swat    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

To access it I use http://mymachine:901/   and use 'user root' 'pass
rootpassword' to access it.=20

Do you have swat installed? did you use a package? (I used sources)
do a  'locate swat' and make certain that your inetd line points to
the swat executable.

Then make sure you do 'killall -HUP inetd' before you try to access
swat, this will make sure your inetd rereads the inetd.conf file.

> My smb.conf file looks like this: >=20
> [global]
> encrypt passwords =3D yes

If you have setup NT to use plain text passwords, then I would think
this is wrong. smbpassword will make an encrypted password (I
believe). I would not try to get NT to use plain text, I've had no
problems getting Samba to talk with NT and 98 without making any
changes to the windows side of the house.=20

Try setting NT up as normal, and then work the Samba side to get a
connection, sounds like your nearly there already. I'd get SWAT up,
once your there the Samba manual is at your fingertips and you can
make changes, restart smb, see your changes take effect. You can
certainly get going from there. =20

>=20
> Don James
> Austin, Texas

Ahhhh ... How's the Republic today? I'm a long way from home and
missing Texas sunsets.

DAve

Sorry if this sounds simplistic, I've no clue how much FBSD you know,
you likely know more than me ;^)

--=20
"My center is giving way,=20
my right is pushed back;=20
situation excellent,=20
I am attacking." =0D=20
Ferdinand Foch at the Second Battle of the Marne (1918)