Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 1996 13:44:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryan Ogawa <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   2.2-ALPHA config glitch (was Re: FreeBSD 2.2-BETA is now available)

On Wed, 25 Dec 1996, jack wrote:

[...]
> Now that we've abandoned 1.2 meg floppies for boot.flp would it be
> possible to institute a graceful recovery from dropped carrier on an FTP
> install via modem?  You can switch back to the PPP session and reestablish
> your PPP connection but, AFAIK, you can't pick up the FTP session.
> Assuming you've made it past the bin distribution the ability to go into
> the `clean up' phase, remake devices, set permissions, copy
> kernel.GENERIC, etc.., would at least leave you with a bootable system and
> the bells and whistles could be added latter if the /stand directory was
> revived.

A problem I had with PPP was trying to install with a non-standard COM
port.  I have my modem on IRQ5, COM4, so I booted up and changed the
settings with the config (-c) thing.

I set my modem up to be sio1, and then chose ppp on COM2 (presuming that
this would be mapped to sio1).  Unfortunately, it still used /dev/cuaa0
instead of /dev/cuaa1 .  Furthermore, ppp had trouble when this happened,
so I was unable to switch to /dev/cuaa1 from the ppp prompt, and had to
try again.

The second time, I was able to install by immediately changing my device
to /dev/cuaa1 in the ppp menu, but this would have probably been less than
obvious to someone unfamiliar with FreeBSD.

Are the two different ppp options supposed to choose cuaa0 and cuaa1,
respectively?

I'd suggest putting a pointer in INSTALL.TXT to the user PPP section of
the handbook (or better yet, inserting the relevant bits into INSTALL.TXT
so that the person who prints it out doesn't have to dig up a net
connection after printing).

I'll try to suggest specific changes to the INSTALL.TXT in the next few
days.

Merry Christmas!

bryan k. ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>  <bkogawa@netvoyage.net>