Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 12:27:10 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        alexandr@louie.udel.edu (Jerry Alexandratos)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with DHCP setup!

> I'm desprately trying to get a bunch of W95 machines to talk to my
> FBSD 2.2-current box via DHCP.  I'm just not having any luck at this.
> Maybe the documentation is too spartan for my tastes, maybe I'm just
> an idiot (your choice), but I just can't get it to work.

You are not alone ;-) I try set up DHCP server on -current and find
that DHCP server write log "Reply to the bootp client...", but it's
didn't send any reply packet to bootp/dhcp clints. (You can see by
"tcpdump -i ed0 port 67" ).  So my quick investigation, it seems
to write(ether_write) to interface in dhcps.c without error but
not sending any actual packet. So might be problem in kernel.

> Have any of my FreeBSD brothers and sisters gotten this to work?  If
> so, could you please share your trade secrets with me?

Sure. (Even you don't use dhcp relay, you need empty file for
/etc/dhcpdb.relay.)

> I don't care whether I use wide dhcp or bootp with dhcp patches, just
> as long as it works.  What I need to do is give out ip address based
> on the MAC hardware address.  If anyone has gotten this to work,
> please send me some samples.  I will be forever indebted to you.

Another secret that I found. "ipad" fieled should NOT be place on
end of line, otherwise you will got syntax error.

  i.e.

    129: :hstn=hmasaki:tblc=spec-net:\
         :clid="1:0x0040c7575d82":ipad=202.32.13.129:

    129: :ipad=202.32.13.129:hstn=hmasaki:tblc=spec-net:\
         :clid="1:0x0040c7575d82":

> Thanks in advance...
>
>         --Jerry
>
> 8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8
> 8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu     % - %    thoughts, and oblivion (8
> 8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu   % - %    drives my desires."    (8

Atsushi.
--
Atsushi Murai                                       Internet: amurai@spec.co.jp
System Planning and Engineering Co,.Ltd.            Voice   : +81-33833-5341